This blog expresses the personal experiences and opinions of the author and not of any other person or organisation. The text herein is subject to change at any time, without notice and may not, under any circumstances, be reproduced (in whole or in part) without the author's written permission.

Thursday 2 April 2009

2nd April 2009

This weekend, a nice Ethiopian living in America emailed me to say that the blog I’d written about the mentally ill man who came into the office has been cut and pasted and put on an Ethiopian website which is considered political (I don’t know, I can’t log on to it from Ethiopia – which suggests it may be!).

They didn’t ask my permission or tell me it was being used (although as it’s on the internet already, and I don’t have anything saying ‘do not use this without permission’ presumably I don’t have a leg to stand on?!). If they had asked, I would have refused. Not because I have a problem with anyone commenting on my writing (people are free to comment here) but because I work for a politically neutral NGO, and my writing being put on a website such as this may compromise them and their work (although the NGO Directors have seen the original blog). And I don’t want that.

This blog is entirely my own experience and thoughts; mistakes, banalities and opinions included (I write about dead rats in my wardrobe for heavens sake!), and that particular blog was written directly after the experience, when I was still shocked and upset. It didn’t occur to me that someone may cut and paste the blog into their own websites! If I’d known, I would have toned down the sweeping generalisations and given it some context and background!

Ah well. And there was I thinking only my dad read this blog!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It was true that your blog entry was posted on a website (Ethiopian). I like reading foreigners blogging from Ethiopia, as I am a foreigner where I live. I understand that it is unfair on you to post your blog entry into a website which most people would see as well thought out writing. I, not knowing the situation, tried in vein to clarify some of the seemingly bizarre sequence of events you witnessed in Lalibela (if I remembered correctly). This week also there is another posting about women in ethiopia with a link to your blog. I still don't know if they contacted you or not. I have read your experience in Harlem Jazz. May be I will read some of your writings as well and comment here (on your blog).
Best of luck

Jara said...

First of all, we truly appreciate the wonderful work you are doing in Ethiopia. In fact we should be ashamed of when we see more foreign people helping our people while we are fight each other.

If it was not for the website, I would have not learned about the wonderful work you are doing. Indeed, the website I read it is critical of the current government, and that does not mean your wonderful work should not be shown to thousands of Diasporas via the media that is available. The website has ranked # 1 in 2008. I wanted to clarify to you that I do not agree with everything what is the website is hosing, however thank God I am living in a place where everybody has a freedom of expression; remember it is crime in Ethiopia. As far as asking your permission, it would have been courtesy to ask, but remember you are doing wonderful work and your work is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jara

Jenny said...

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate you taking the time to read these. The websites have agreed not to publish anything without asking me now, so all happy!